Ma'ayanot Yeshiva High School

The-Source

The Case for a Creative Writing Club

Shoshana Berger ‘19

For those of you who don’t know why creative writing is a useful tool, let me explain. There are three main things that creating writing is useful for: expressing yourself, preparing for a career, and having fun. Let me elaborate.

There are many ways to express yourself through creative writing. You could write a short story where the main character is a reflection of your thoughts and feelings. You could type up an essay about something you feel strongly about. You could write a poem. Or, and this one is my favorite, you could set up a document and just write everything that comes to mind. Write as if you’re ranting to your friend, or expressing your excitement to your mother. Or just write. There are no rules!

Creative writing could also lead to a career. You could be the author of a book! You could even be the author of the next New York Times bestseller, and then you could write more and more books and make some money! But, this won’t happen if you don’t practice. If you ask any author, he or she will tell you that the way to get better at writing is to write all the time, even if it’s in a journal, or just a few sentence story. Write as often as you can, maybe even every day.

Lastly, it’s a great way to have fun! You get to play around with different ideas, different characters. You can create a whole world. You can make up whatever you want. Make it crazy, intricate or simple. Do whatever you want! It’s your mind, your writing. You can make your dream world a reality through words on a page. You can explore the inner workings of your deepest fears. You can do anything with creative writing.

Now, why am I telling you all this? Believe it or not, I have a reason. Students could take advantage of the opportunity to do all of those three things. How? Not only by selecting one of the creative writing electives being offered this year, but also through a creative writing club! Not every grade has a creative writing elective, and not everyone can fit the creative writing elective into her schedule. There are certain opportunities that should be given to all students, however, and I believe that this is one of them. Many people love to write at home, but that’s hard to do because we have so much school work. I think a lot of people would appreciate the opportunity to have time to do creative writing through a club. They would get to see that writing isn’t only essays that you’re graded on. It can be fun and free of stress! Free of having to wrack your mind to find the right things to put onto the paper, because there is no right or wrong in creative writing! If you are interested in participating in this club, please contact me at bergers2019@maayanot.org , and I will do what I can to make it happen.